About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
Middle aged crazy, a little on the broken side,been to hell and back and still make side trips into Purgatory to indulge the masochistic side of my personality. I'm Texan,Southern,Over-educated,arrogant, temperamental,oversexed but under-indulged.Chasing after younger men and the happiness that has eluded me for most of my life.Music and literature are my passions.Finally living the dream in my idea of Heaven.

Blog Archive

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dear Roger, How in the Hell Do Teen Boys Survive to Adulthood?

Words cannot really describe the sound that I made as I was starting typing this entry other than it was a combination of a groan,deep sigh, growl, whine and exasperated whine. I spent the day with Chance and his best buddy, my best friends son, running around Portland looking at apartments and trying to get stuff done, with TRY being the operative word. It took them until noon to drag their sorry asses out of bed, and then they both spent forever in the bathroom trying to get their hair and whatever just right. I would have had them up and out of the house sooner, but we had a bit of trauma when I walked into the boys room without knocking first thing in the morning thinking that I would just just rouse them out and we would hit the road early. The trauma will hopefully fade with therapy for me and for my son, and I will knock from now on, but he wore dark sunglasses most of the day and refused to look me in the eye or even talk directly to me for the big part of it. It just kinda cemented my belief that boys are icky and kinda weird.
When we finally left the house I told them that we were taking Stevie to see,'The Last Airbender" as I had promised her before we left Flagstaff, and both the guys groaned and asked if they could go see a movie that men would like, and I told them that when I found a man I would have to ask him what that would be, but until then they were coming with us, so then they started teasing Stevie about her adoration of all things Rathbone, and arousing her ire to the point that she ended up wrapped up around her brothers head punching and biting his ear until he yelled for help and I threatened to make everyone go back to the house and sit on their bed if they didnt stop with the shenanigans. The boys started yelling, "Free Penis" out the window of the car at random people as we drove through Portland and I ended up putting up Chances head in the back window in an attempt to get him to stop. When we got to the theater they settled down a bit, and then it was Stevies turn to get a bit out of hand as she Squeed! and hopped up everytime his royal Rathboniness popped up on the screen, and her brother just about had to sit on her to keep her quiet. When the moon princess died and he was sad, Stevie started crying,"Hes sad mommy!,I dont like him to be sad!" and I had to console her until she calmed down as people were looking at me like I was some kinda bad mom for having such a tiny fangirl. The boys grunted and groaned and pissed and moaned about the movie not following the cartoon and generally bitched and moaned about not liking the movie based on the "Pattinson principal" but now they have changed it to the 'Twilight principal" based on that any movie that has a guy from the Twilight series has to suck, just because. But then Chance surprised the hell out of me and said, "Well, I gotta change that because I like 'Remember me", that was a damn good movie." I about wrecked the freaking car and we all turned and looked at him and his buddy punched him and said,'Dude, your just gay for that dude cuz hes hot". The whole car when to hell at that point and I had to park because one dude calling another "Hot" had occurred and accusations of deviance and all kinda things that went against the 14 y/o male bro code had happened so I pulled Stevie up front and let them hash it out in the back for a few.
After masculinity and jock status had been reaffirmed, we decided to go for Chinese for lunch and we went down to the Gorge which is really a cool viewing area for the river and they have a nice Chinese place on the corner. We sat and the lady came up and promptly dumped a full glass of iced water in Chances lap on accident. Hilarity ensued and we all laughed ourselves silly. We let the poor lady know that it wasn't a problem, and after we stuffed ourselves with awesome lo mein, I even tipped her extra for the comic relief.
We shopped a little bit, drove around listening to music alot,(if I hear Katy Perrys California Girls one more time I may voluntarily rupture my ear drums), and I even managed to embarrass my son by dancing. I figure I have the right to be as embarrassing as possible, especially since he seems to enjoy doing things like trying on bras and booty shorts in stores, grabbing up giant Kiwis and tossing them to me and yelling, "hey mom, didn't you want to get your hands on some Monkey Balls?" or farting and letting me walk into it, so the least I could do was dance badly for him and his friend in a very public place, and be THAT kinda mom as best I could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment