About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
Middle aged crazy, a little on the broken side,been to hell and back and still make side trips into Purgatory to indulge the masochistic side of my personality. I'm Texan,Southern,Over-educated,arrogant, temperamental,oversexed but under-indulged.Chasing after younger men and the happiness that has eluded me for most of my life.Music and literature are my passions.Finally living the dream in my idea of Heaven.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dear Roger: Im Old And The World Is Getting Smaller

Well, I survived my birthday, but just barely. I decided to celebrate by going to the gym with my bestie, Chels, and of course I overdid the hell out of it. I put on my ipod and got on a machine an elliptical machine, its like a combination of cross country skiing and snow shoeing. You can set it so that it has different tensions and makes you work your ass off. I was feeling a bit cocky so I let it go on 'Work your ass off" setting, turned my Ipod to my most raucous 100 Monkeys mix and I hit it hard. I am pretty proud of the fact I lasted 20 minutes on that torture device without having a heart attack. It has a monitor that keeps track of your heart rate and when mine hit 174 I figured it was time to get my goofy ass of the thing and take a break. I made it through the end of "Orson Brawl" by sheer cussededness, but I had jelly legs getting off of it.
I stood there, leaning against the machine, trying to look cool, but the fact of the matter was, if I had tried to walk away from it, I would have ended up face down on the floor. It took me a little bit to get so I could walk around without my knees buckling, but once they got back to normal, I hit the weights and worked my arms and abs until I was good and exhausted. I worked my glutes and such as well and I was glad to see I can still push 140 with my legs, but I would only press 75 more than 5 times. I have really lost my upper body strength, and it was mainly due to the lack of stability in my dang left shoulder. I am going to get some tension bands for the house and start working out at the house as well so maybe I can get that better, but I was able to to some pull ups, so I am not a total marshmallow, except in my former color, before I went into the tanning booth, for too long.
I discovered the hard way that I am what was "Pale" and that I should have only spent about 2-3 minutes in the booth. 8 minutes for my first time was not wise at all. Lobster is not a good look and burning your butt as well as your boobs really kinda stinks. I learned my lesson though and will be more careful the next time. I saw a real improvement on my skin though, so I will be going back.
It was a great birthday though. Chels got me a dvd player and the Harry Potter dvd! I was tickled to death. I hadnt expected to get anything from any one so that was quite a happy surprise. Its nice to have a friend that gets me and I enjoy hanging out with her.
I got a message from a friend back home the other day and it reminded me that its a small world and the threads that tie us all together sometimes cross and interwind, creating new and powerful connections that change things for the better. The stories that were shared made even more of a difference when I shared them with my son. As I read the letter I had gotten about a miracle that had happened, he was reminded that powerful things are afoot. He added a few extra people to his prayers last night and that was interesting to hear, because for a boy with a world of problems of his own, he takes on the fears and worries of others and prays for them to be lessened. He is a big brother too and knows that nothing is worse that the thought of something happening to his baby sister, even though she may drive him crazy by stealing his guitar and loosening the strings on the ukulele just to mess with him.
I had to give up coffee and I am not doing so well without it. But a heart rate of a hummingbird on speed is not conducive to a good life, so I guess I have to listen to the doctor for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment