About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
Middle aged crazy, a little on the broken side,been to hell and back and still make side trips into Purgatory to indulge the masochistic side of my personality. I'm Texan,Southern,Over-educated,arrogant, temperamental,oversexed but under-indulged.Chasing after younger men and the happiness that has eluded me for most of my life.Music and literature are my passions.Finally living the dream in my idea of Heaven.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dear Roger:What My Brain Is Doing When Its Supposed to Be Sleeping

Ive never been a person that sleeps for long stretches at a time. Most nights, if I get 4-5 hours in a row,I wake up feeling like I hibernated half my damn life away. I never have been someone who needed a lot of sleep to function. I guess it goes to that whole thing of me functioning best when I am under pressure or some kind of deadline. When I was in Public Safety, I developed the ability to power nap in all kinds of situations such as while coming back from a fire returning from dealing with all kinds of mayhem. I was able to nap in patrol cars, fire trucks, ambulances, on the ground, wearing all my gear and ready to respond to all kinds of situations. Working in remote, rural areas, I often had to ride a half hour or more to the scene, deal with whatever it was, package the case, transport them or wait for the coroner, and then clear the scene with my partner and return to base back the other direction at normal speed which often was a lot slower, so I got really good at power napping so I could write my report when we returned to base, restock and be ready to go again.
Being a parent didn't help my sleeping habits. I have kids that are escape artists and a wrecking crew, so I had to learn to sleep with one eye and ear open so I could be prepared to wrangle them up. Used to be, my creative process kicked in when I was resting and I would get some of my best ideas for my art or my writing, but as I have gotten older I have had to start taking stuff for my migraines that suppresses my ability to dream and to some extent my creative process. Where, when I was younger, my dreams were more action and adventure and the crazy antics that I would get up to, nowadays, I find that when I do dream, they tend to revolve around conversations, though not always with folks I have any particular personal connection to.
I had an odd one last night, I was back at my childhood home in East Texas, down at the pond, sitting on the rock that I used to sit on when I was fishing. It was warm and the sunlight was shining through the sycamore leaves on the water and I was barefoot, wearing a pair of jeans and an old t-shirt. My dog that died when I was 12 was there,but nothing else was the same. The house was gone, and I wasn't worried about snakes or spiders or anything. I was just relaxed and happy, stretched out on the rock with my fishing line in the water, when a couple of shadows fall over me. I open my eyes and its my cousin Robert and another young man that I have never really spoken to, but that I find kinda interesting. They sat on the rock and asked me," Soo, any luck?" I told them that I hadn't caught anything, but that I wasn't really working too hard at it. They just both gave me a smile and said,"Well thats the Texas way of doing things." We sat there in the sun for a while, watching the clouds roll by until Robert said, "Its getting late, you know?" I told him that I knew it. He asked if I thought I had done what I was supposed to do and I told him that I thought I had and that if I hadn't, I had at least tried pretty damn hard. "You need to be writing more, you have been soo damn lazy lately." They were sitting on either side of me at this point, Robert smoking a cigarette and offering me a slug off his flask, and the fella on the other side just leaned back looking up at the clouds like the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland, all lanky and tall and vaguely stoned looking. I looked at him and said,"Why are you here? You aren't dead," He smiled at me and said,"No, but I like to hang out in the interesting places sometimes." We got into a debate over what was better being tall or short?, and if he was gay or not and why he was trailing around after Robert. He gave me some vague comments about everything and everyone being all interconnected and how art and music just flows through us all, so thats what he was doing..."going with the flow."Robert looked at him at that point and said, "You are soo full of bullshit your eyes ought be brown instead of blue." They got up and started walking off into the woods the led off towards a meadow where I could hear music coming from. They turned back and looked at me and said, "We are gonna go wander for a bit, you want to go with?" I woke up just as I started to tell them Yes. I guess its no wonder I dont sleep for long stretches at a time. I have no idea why I would be dreaming about my dead cousin, my dead dog, a live young man I dont know,and fishing! Nights when I dream about talking to you seem to make a lot more sense. Most of the time we are in an art gallery walking up a flight of stairs, and you are talking to me in that no nonsense way of talking that you had.
Chance asked me to try and describe how you were the other day.When I first told him who you were most like, as a mentor and by your very physical presence the way you always kept me on the straight and narrow even when I tried to get wrapped up into the whole dysfunction that was my family, he was a bit horrified, but then when I explained that you were never full on cruel or mean, you were just...you. But, of all the literary characters I could think of to most choose from that would help him understand what you were like, I fell upon Severus Snape. Many people wouldn't understand it, but when I explained the whole story behind it to him, he understood and then he said, "Yeah, mom...we are going to be bringing an entire box of kleenex to the theater for that movie aren't we, because sitting here talking about this with you is getting to me, so I can imagine what its going to be like for you to see the end. " My dreams of you often actually leave me feeling happy and well rested, no matter how brief amount of time they are comprised of.

No comments:

Post a Comment