About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
Middle aged crazy, a little on the broken side,been to hell and back and still make side trips into Purgatory to indulge the masochistic side of my personality. I'm Texan,Southern,Over-educated,arrogant, temperamental,oversexed but under-indulged.Chasing after younger men and the happiness that has eluded me for most of my life.Music and literature are my passions.Finally living the dream in my idea of Heaven.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Dear Roger: Run Boy! RUN NOW!

So it has been an enlightening and interesting week. I have always known that my small daughter was particularly bright and talented, beyond what my own ego imagined, but I really had no idea the true depth of her abilities and now that I do, I am more than a little freaked out.
Her school sent her to be tested several months ago. It was a long day of intense testing that had followed a myriad of interview forms about her background and family history, her teachers observations and her classroom work and a series of observed tasks and what have you. I got the results of all of this yesterday and I have to tell you that I was beaming. My daughter is,"Intellectually Gifted". Her abilities cover not just one particular thing, but the whole shebang, though she is off the charts on verbal ability. I wasn't really shocked there, after all the kid could talk an ear off a statue and she throws down $5 words like its normal for a 7 year old to do so. We play games like,"Thesaurus" that I made up where we start off with a simple word like,"Small" and come up with as many words as possible that mean the same thing. Her first word in the game yesterday was,"minuscule", so yeah....
Her teacher tells me that she seems to have a real talent for writing songs and plays as well as performing for the class. She recounted how my daughter found out about her birthday and in 15 minutes had written a personalized birthday song that mentioned her pets,and that she had even drafted 3 little boys to sing back up for her as she stood up in front of the class flipped her hair back and belted out the song and then took a bow. She is always writing songs and plays and even composing little ditties about her monkey, "Jackson" both stuffed and even the real one. Last night she was writing a new song called,"Purple pants" in honor of her favorite young mans new fashion oddity. She wrote her own song for the talent show after her and her brother had severe ,'Artistic differences" over the performing of Spencer Bells ,"Beautiful More So". Her song is about Zombie Gummy Bears and is heavy on harmonica with very familiar dance moves,(remind me to limit her viewing of 100 Monkeys videos for a little while), and is so damn funny and cute that I cant help but think she may do well just on sheer cuteness and ballsyness factor alone.
I have a lot to be thinking about over this summer. The school is going to be working on trying to develop a plan to keep her challenged in this next year, and they are already giving her special privileges in the library and I am looking into finding a music teacher for her that is capable of teaching her the musical instruments she wants to learn. I guess I am going to have to step up my game on teaching her French like she wants, though I am still trying to talk her out of thinking she is going to marry that poor boy and drag him to, "France for 6 months and then Italy so she can study art", though with her abilities and determination, she may just be able to do it and in a vastly shorter time period than I had anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment