About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
Middle aged crazy, a little on the broken side,been to hell and back and still make side trips into Purgatory to indulge the masochistic side of my personality. I'm Texan,Southern,Over-educated,arrogant, temperamental,oversexed but under-indulged.Chasing after younger men and the happiness that has eluded me for most of my life.Music and literature are my passions.Finally living the dream in my idea of Heaven.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dear Roger: Passive Aggressive

Still not writing much, though I have been working on some editing of a few things. Its frustrating, but I have been getting some runs of cluster migraines and with my left eye twitching almost non-stop for the last 2 weeks, I figure its not surprising that I haven't been able to write very much. I did get out and go running around with a friend of mine yesterday. We went down to the Hawthorne District here in Portland and went wandering in and out of some of the funky vintage resale shops and some of the music shops that they have down there.
I could spend days just wandering around down there, and probably thousands of dollars if I had them to spend. I found all kinds of cool old furniture that would look great in my house and that would go with the whole 30's Blues club theme I was trying to go for, and there were so many old guitars and other musical instruments, I thought I was in a museum in one store. If I hadn't had to come back and get daughter off the bus, I would probably still be down there wandering around in either a book store or this really cool acoustic instrument store that I found.
I wish my hands weren't so messed up. I have tried playing guitar again, but with all the damage over the years to my hands from broken fingers and such, the arthritis has made it really difficult, plus whatever weird neuro thing I have going on, makes my left hand really uncooperative when it comes to translating what my brain is telling it into action, so the more difficult chords and transitions, just do not happen, but I enjoy watching someone who knows what they are doing, play, and I plunk around when there is nobody to make fun of my clumsy attempts.
One shop we went in was really interesting. It had a 70's theme going on and the guy running it was fully embracing that whole vibe because the odor of weed hit us the minute we walked through the door. Its soo strange to me to be in a city where you can get a buzz while shopping, but it was funny and I got the giggles. It was a really cool shop and in there I found my perfect hat. Its a vintage Italian wool hat that beyond cool. I knew the minute I saw it that I had to have it, and I did something that I rarely do; I asked the guy if he would barter with me, and he did! I swapped my old wedding ring for it. I was so happy to get it, I even wore it out of the store and home. I got a compliment on it from a random stranger and it just fit me and my whole personality.
When I got a call from the ex later in the day, I told him about the hat and of course his comment was," So you are just embracing that whole dyke lifestyle now, aren't you?" He is such a charming bastard. I wasn't surprised he made such a nice comment. He was always like that. I actually hate talking to him, but I have to and I have to be nice about it for my boys. Its called appeasement. Playing nice so that I get to talk to my sons on a regular basis. Its miserable, but if I vented on him and let him know whats really in my heart and mind, then I would lose my tenuous connection to my sons and I would have to try and fight him in court to get them and I just cannot afford that financially. I would probably win, but then what? I have no car with which to go get them. So I play nice with a man who constantly makes hateful little remarks about me and my sexuality and looks and whatever else, who has for the last 10 years, cut me down both physically, mentally and emotionally, its just the price and the penance I pay.
My parents sent birthday cards to my daughter and my son. The one to my son was a month late, but they sent it. I dont know why, I haven't spoken to them since before Valentines day. I just cant. My issues with them run deep and twisty Rog, and I wish you were here to help me sort through them. I have a lot of anger at my father and at my mother and my insecurity about who I am stems from things that went on as I grew up. My father making fun of me and my physical appearance and what I ate, my mother discussing with her friend whether or not I was gay because I had pictures of a few female movie stars on my walls when I was 12. There are so many things that fucked me up when I was a kid that I dont even want to get into all of it, but my counselor is insisting that getting it out and talking about it, will help me deal with it. I think it just pisses me off further. Its hard to be a parent. We all make mistakes and I have not been a perfect parent by a long shot, but I have done my level best to never play favorites, and never let my kids doubt for one minute that I love them. I dont know if im fixable, but I know that I am trying hard to be a good parent and I damn sure intend to be a better grandparent for any grand kids I may have than my parents have been. My kids think that my folks hate kids. They dont even know their other grandmother, so they essentially have no relatives outside of me and their half-assed father and their crazy aunt. I wish that they could have had grandparents like I had. It seems so unfair that they dont have a loving grandfather and grandmother that teach them things and never make them feel unwanted or unloved or that yell at them. I remember the spanking that grandpa gave me for disobeying that one time outside of Chicago, but I also remember it was deserved and I remember that he really didn't want to do it and I remember that he hugged me later and that he still loved me. All my kids know of their grandfather is that he yells a lot and doesn't like kids. I dont know how to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment