About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
Middle aged crazy, a little on the broken side,been to hell and back and still make side trips into Purgatory to indulge the masochistic side of my personality. I'm Texan,Southern,Over-educated,arrogant, temperamental,oversexed but under-indulged.Chasing after younger men and the happiness that has eluded me for most of my life.Music and literature are my passions.Finally living the dream in my idea of Heaven.

Blog Archive

Friday, January 7, 2011

Dear Roger; Traditions, Memories

Its been a pretty busy few days around here. I have been out for coffee with friends, went downtown yesterday and wandered all over the place and finally made it to Powells Books! Hell, it only took,what? a little over 6 months? I had a great time with the two gals that went with me and I look forward to having many more adventures with them. We also went to Voodoo donuts and I got a dozen donuts to bring home to the kids as a very damn rare treat. They are pretty much all gone this morning, but they were a hit last night even though son was all bitchy and snippy with me because I wouldn't promise him he could have SIXTY bucks to spend on his little girlfriends birthday in March! I dont think the boy quite gets the fact that we are freaking POOR and his girlfriend ranks very far below my baby girl who has a birthday coming up in March.
I dont know what the hell I am going to so for small daughters birthday. She wants to go to another concert, but I dont know if they are going to be touring by then, and even if they are, I dont know where the hell they will be, so I think she is going to have to make do with a t-shirt or something. I hope to have a decent job by then, and maybe I can get her something nice, like a real bed so she doesn't have to sleep on the floor anymore, but things aren't looking great in the job market around here and until we get a car, I am kinda screwed in that department.
Son and I did have a good talk the other night on the importance of traditions and maintaining the things that tie us to our heritage. He and his sister plotted together for her to be the first to say "Rabbit, Rabbit,Rabbit" on New Years, and she was tickled to death to actually do it. We talked about how my grandma would sometimes call me up out of the blue when I was living in Dallas or even Yuma, just to say it to me on the first of the month, and it was just kinda our thing. I miss that and after she had her stroke and my mother took over, that tradition died in the house, along with so many other things. We talked about other things that I do that are just part tradition and part of values that were imparted into me by my grandparents. I dont drink before noon, and I tend to think poorly of folks who do. I dont drink on Sundays. I expect men to take their hats off at the table and use their manners, including not burping,farting or blowing their noses at the table,(something my father always did and I found disgusting), I taught my son to shake hands and make eye contact and my daughter to curtsy and use her best manners. I was so put off on that snooty school when the director told my daughter that she didn't have to say ,'Sir and ma'am" that I was really glad when my son let it drop. We stand and salute or put our hands over our hearts for the flag, always. We pull to the right and turn on our headlights for a funeral procession. I do my best to watch my language in front of the elderly and small children, and I expect my son to hold the door for them, and he always does. I may be old fashioned, and we may get funny looks, but my son has girls chasing after him like nobodies business because of his manners and how he treats people, so I must be doing something right.
Im not perfect but I remember what I was taught by my grandparents, and my son commented that being well mannered and polite, makes him stand out apart from the herd at school and sometimes he gets harassed about it, but mostly he gets lots of attention from girls, so he considers it a win/win.
Texas A&M is playing lsu today and we are going to watch together. I am hoping when he sees all the tradition and honor and devotion that is around A&M, he will realize that its something he wants more than being an actor or a musician. I keep trying to tell him that he can be those things at any point in his life, but if he dedicates himself to school and works hard, he can have 4 wonderful years at a place that will leave a lasting legacy in his life worthy of passing onto his kids. I wear my A&M sweater with pride, and I wish my eldest daughter would go there, but if she wants to go to UT, I can understand that as well, the couple of years I did there were pretty good. I am just relieved that she is not going to be wasting any money in Arizona because my degree from NAU is worth less than the paper its printed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment